Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ting Ying Han at Spruill Gallery

Ting Ying Han / Missing / rice / 2008 / 72"x 36" 72"

Detail, Missing

Detail, Missing

Bio:

"Ting Ying Han is a visual artist who was born at Taipei, Taiwan. After finishing a degree in International Shipping and Management, as her parents wished. She decided to leave her family and pursue her dream. Now she resides in Atlanta, Georgia and earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Sculpture from Savannah College of Art and Design-Atlanta. Han’s work focuses on exploring humanity and the relationship on her personal life events. "

Artist Statement:

"After six years of being in the United States, I have assimilated new ideas through the process of being transplanted from Taiwan. I am driven by the changing and responding influences of both the past and the present. I am interested in how we, as humans, relate to each other; how mental, psychological, emotional, and physical conditions can intersect with lived experiences.

Memories are documents that retain collective visions, myths and beliefs about my homeland and my role as a woman. These memories and relationships within my family are the inspiration and motivation for an open-ended narrative of life. They remain as an inseparable and essential part of my life; this is true even though the new cultural understanding sometimes contradicts the old.

To me, making art is a way of exploring the balance between my past and present selves. This process of physically “making” objects recovers the emotional and psychological aspects of my past. This is the essence of my content. The works explore how malleable our identities are, and how individual perception of reality can influence what is accepted as truth."


Spruill Gallery Presents:

Emerging Artists 2009
Artists on the up and up.
June 19 - August 1, 2009

Featuring works by Jonathan Bouknight, Meg Aubrey, Susan Ryles, Rory Golden, Jason Kofke, Rylan Steele, Erin McIntosh, Ting Ying Han and Danny Paulette.


To see more of Ting Ying Han's work, visit her page on ArtReview

No comments:

Post a Comment