Monday, November 13, 2017

ART OF THE PROTEST: Part IV


During the Opening Reception, in addition to the installation of message driven visual art  at the WCAGA ART+ACTIVISM Art of the Protest show at Sycamore Place Gallery & Studios in Decatur on September 1, 2017,local area noted writers gave readings of their original poetry. George Hess’s poignant poem, White, which Hess read is published below with his permission. To inquire about reproduction, contact macbethgeorge@gmail.com


 
Opening Reception presenters    L-R: Jerry Cullum, Sylvia Cross, Rachael Bommacino and  George Hess (photo by Maggie Bethel) 


White


I am white



I have privileges 



Policemen don’t stop me and ask for my I D or search me for a weapon



Nor am I seen as a threat when I walk down the street



No one questions why I am where I am or suspects me of bad intentions



I am not suspected of being a liar or a cheat or a thief



No one questions what I have earned as legitimate



When I apply for a loan I am not asked for extra documentation



My social status is accepted as is the universality of my experiences



I’ve always felt safe when interacting with police officers



I have not experienced overt racism being used against me or my kin



When I speak my well-spoken and articulate voice is not questioned



I may sing, dance, and act as I please without being called a thug



I am not the only representative of my race



I never worry about my skin color, hair, or cultural accessories



When a crime is committed I am not an immediate suspect



I am not considered lazy or incompetent 



I will never be labeled as a terrorist



I have privileges



I am white.
Vickie: George Hess’s original poem, White,  may not need a visual image, but if you think appropriate, attached is one photo that Maggie Bethel had taken that is a possibility to use showing the presenters. They were waiting while Art +Activism director, Jenny Bell, was introducing them.   Let me know when this Blog PART IV gets posted. Thanks!  (This is the final blog from me right now. J) Flora ·         If you use the photo: …………..Suggested caption   Opening Reception presenters    L-R: Jerry Cullum, Sylvia Cross, Rachael Bommacino and  George Hess and. (photo by Maggie Bethel)                    ·         Following is a brief intro to the poem with attribution to George.   During the Opening Reception, in addition to the installation of message driven visual art  at the WCAGA ART+ACTIVISM Art of the Protest show at Sycamore Place Gallery & Studios in Decatur on September 1, 2017- local area noted writers gave readings of  their original poetry. George Hess’s poignant  poem, White, which Hess read is published below with his permission. To inquire about reproduction, contact macbethgeorge@gmail.com     White   I am white I have privileges Policemen don’t stop me and ask for my I D or search me for a weapon Nor am I seen as a threat when I walk down the street No one questions why I am where I am or suspects me of bad intentions I am not suspected of being a liar or a cheat or a thief No one questions what I have earned as legitimate When I apply for a loan I am not asked for extra documentation My social status is accepted as is the universality of my experiences I’ve always felt safe when interacting with police officers I have not experienced overt racism being used against me or my kin When I speak my well-spoken and articulate voice is not questioned I may sing, dance, and act as I please without being called a thug I am not the only representative of my race I never worry about my skin color, hair, or cultural accessories When a crime is committed I am not an immediate suspect I am not considered lazy or incompetent I will never be labeled as a terrorist I have privileges I am white.

No comments:

Post a Comment