Sunday, November 1, 2015

Interview with Anita Stewart



1. Who are you and what do you do, and what is your background?
I am an international artist and art teacher. I graduated from the University of Memphis in the ancient year of 1977 with a BFA. As I taught, I got  elementary, junior high and high school art  programs off the ground for both public and private schools. This encouraged me to start my own art school. I was the sole owner and director of Anita's  ArtsCool for 15 years,1998-2013. I hit the ground running when we move to Atlanta in 1983.  Since then I have been in numerous juried local, regional and international art competitions. I  became friends with an artist who lived near me in Suwanee. Jill Fearon was  an artist from South Africa. In 2006,she invited me to visit her in Capetown and travel through beautiful South Africa. I visited Capetown for a month in 2007 . In 2009 I ,went with her and a group of South African artists for almost two weeks  to paint in Tuscany. I returned to South Africa in 2010 to paint and travel .  During my last adventure, I got my courage up  to  travel by myself. I developed a passion during my visits to South Africa to view cave paintings. (They are much older than the ones we have in the US.) My explorations in Africa led me to other adventures in Panama, Ecuador, Peru and Australia. 


2. What's integral to your art and or art career?
Travel has become very important to my quest in understanding the people and art of other countries. I love the challenge and adventure to stretch myself and has driven me to a deeper understanding of who I am and where I came from. I have Native American heritage and I find myself attracted to the indigenous people of whatever country I travel to. 

3. What themes do you pursue and what medium do you use?
I have taught a wide range of media through the years. I progressed through acrylics ,pastels ,pen and ink, and oils . I have drawn and painted a wide range of subject matter in both realistic and fantasy styles. I am currently exploring maps as artwork using mixed media . I have cut, torn and pasted maps  with zero and minimum paint . I have rendered many portraits of live models   using water color crayons  over printed maps. I think using maps fits who I am and what I want to explore..many worlds !!

4. What makes you angry, what makes you happy?
I makes me angry to see an individual cause hardships for other people.
Especially when it causes them to become adversaries . We live in a small world and our online technology is making it even smaller. I love to laugh and discover something new.

5. Who and what inspire you in your work and or in your life in general?
Those who don't give up. People who bring more  joy and sunshine into your life.I think my Great Aunt was also an inspiration to me. She taught in London and loved to travel.

6. What superpower would you want?
I would want to visit with loved ones who are gone..Like my good friend Rosemary Williams who was also a WCA member. I would also love to be a time traveler to learn more form other people born in other places and at other times in life.

7. What is your favorite artists and or other person?
I am always amazed by the work of Salvador Dahli.. I also like Van Gough's work. I share the same birthday as Van Gough.

8. What advice would you give to other artists?
Never give up.  Be true to yourself and give yourself grace to make mistakes. Some of my greatest accomplishments have come from big mistakes that I learned from ..in my work  and in my life.
www.wetcanvas.com is a great place to discuss questions and connect with other artists. ( I met the originator  years ago.. )
Always look for ways to learn more.. Step back and reconsider what has happened in your life.

9. Contact details if any? 
www.anitastewartgallery.com is my website. Please friend me on Face Book.  My email is anitaarts@hotmail.com

I am currently teaching art at Art and Beyond on Holcomb Bridge Rd. I am teaching drawing to teens, painting to adults. I have several workshops scheduled for the near future in calligraphy, visual journaling and pastels. http://artandbeyondstudio.com/adult-classes/adult-workshops/
www.artandbeyondstudio.com Ask for Andy Schwartz.

No comments:

Post a Comment