Saturday, January 4, 2014

INTERVIEW WITH DEANNA SIRLIN

"Liquid Universe" Terminus 200, Counsins Properties, Atlanta, Georgia
1. Who are you and what do you do, and what is your background?
I am Deanna Sirlin. I am an artist. I grew up in New York City and left after receiving my MFA from Queens College. I currently live and work on a horse farm outside of Atlanta. I have been an artist and writer for 33 years. I just published my first book, Sheʼs Got What It Takes: American Women Artists in Dialogue. I am the publisher and editor in chief of The Art Section: An Online Journal of Art and Cultural Commentary.
2. What's integral to your art and or art career?
For me, it is the daily life of going into the studio.
3. What themes do you pursue and what medium do you use?
Color has always been important to me. I will work in any medium that allows me to explore the possibilities of expressing my thoughts this way.
Retracings High Museum of Art, Atlanta Georgia

Retracings High Museum of Art, Atlanta Georgia
4. What makes you angry, what makes you happy?
Ignorance and intolerance make me very unhappy. Falseness, posturing, and pretension annoy me. And what make me happy are my passion for art and animals and my love for them.
5. Who and what inspire you in your work and or in your life in general?
My spouse is a very good partner and inspiration to me, and the animals in my life have taught me much about being in the moment, love, and happiness.
6. What superpower would you want?
I would love endless energy.
7. What is your favorite artists and or other person?
My favorite artists range from Giotto to Rembrandt to Morandi to Alex Katz to Louise Bourgeois.
8. What advice would you give to other artists?
My advice is to work really hard, be really honest with yourself, and discover who you are.
C- Flow Elevation, Underground Atlanta

9. Contact details if any?
Personal work– www.deannasirlin.com
Online Journal of Art and Cultural Commentary – www.theartsection.com
The Billboard Project

No comments:

Post a Comment