|Lynn Mayes, #101|
1. Who are you and what do you do, and what is your background?
- First, I am an artist. I have experimented with many media i.e. paint, clay, marble, wood, bronze, and encaustic. Currently I am experimenting with acrylic paint and mixed media... I also play golf and duplicate bridge :-). I have B.A. in Fine Art from Vanderbilt University and have studied privately with lots of wonderful studio artists and at the Art Students League in New York City with Phillip Sherrod.
- I am in the midst of transition in my art life and am enjoying every minute of it. My new work is abstract and is hanging at Brenau University in Gainesville, and in the Blue Ridge National Art Show in Blue Ridge, GA. 42 Figurative works are at solo show at the Roush Gallery in the Carrollton Cultural Arts Center in Carrollton, GA.
- Integral to my art is my studio! It is my favorite place on earth.
- Figurative images have been the focus of my paintings for the last ten years - I think they convey feelings that are inside me, and these feelings come out in the paintings. In 2012 and 2013 I have turned to abstract and mixed media painting which is now more of a technical challenge. "If you already know how to do it, what's the point?" Robert Rauschenberg.
- Anger has a depressing effect of me so I avoid it - if at all possible. When my anger button is pushed, I just "delete" it. I'm really happy when my family is around, my husband, children and grandchildren.
- I collect inspirational writings from philosophers and metaphysical authors such as Rainer Maria Rilke, one of my favorites. When I need a lift, I look at some of those introspective thoughts.
- Superpower? To see into the future? or maybe to fly? - there are birds in many of my paintings so maybe there is a secret need to know I can escape.
- Marc Chagall is my favorite artist followed by Jasper Johns and John Hyche.
- Advice - Have no fear. My best art has been the result of a mistake made. Ask a favor. "No" is not a scary answer. Enjoy the journey because we will never have all the answers. Probably don't want to have them actually.
- My cell # is 678-467-0876