Sunday, March 31, 2013

Interview with Jessica Gordon--April 2013 Featured Artist

Work of Jessica Gordon

Who are you and what do you do, and what is your background? 
My name is Jes Belkov Gordon, and I am an artist. I have made my career out of specializing in color. I graduated from the Atlanta College of Art with a degree in Painting in 1997. I’ve spent time painting murals and creative decorative finishes for people in their homes. I spent many years under the hat of “color consultant” where I help people pick paint colors for their homes and businesses based on personality profiles. I have a certification with the IACC-NA (International Association of Color Consultants/Designers of North America), where I studied color from scientific perspective of human reaction to the color environment. I now make paintings with the mergence of my color training and fine art study. I’m addicted to liquid color!


What's integral to your art and or art career?
Work of Jessica Gordon


The most important thing to me has been my studio outside my home. I require having a space that is only there so that I can make art. I have tried every room in my home. I have tried temporary spaces. I have tried everything imaginable. I LOVE having a sacred art space. I make more art that way. I’m comfortable and free when I go there. I’m not haunted by “other” things I “should” be doing. And I’m not faced with the tug and pull of family duties while I’m in my studio. It’s my own personal heaven!

What themes do you pursue and what medium do you use.

I am an acrylic painter and occasional mixed media artist, using paper as my sub-straight. Right now the most important theme in my work it authenticity. I used to paint what I thought was clever or what I thought would be well received. That gets old and painful. It’s important to me that I paint for the love and joy of painting. While my father was dying of cancer, he was actually prescribed painting. He was told to make art and that it might help him to heal. He never did do it. My mother was an artist, but never pursued it seriously, and after her death I felt like I needed to make my art my life’s focus again. Because of my experience with my parents, I paint intuitively. I paint with my soul. I paint me. Writers are told to write what they know; as an artist, I feel like I need to paint what I know. I know color. I love color. So right now, my work is about using forms of color to express the joy I find in painting. I’m also expressing the beauty in the seemingly broken, chaotic parts of life.

What makes you angry, what makes you happy?

Simplicity makes me happy. Painting makes me happy. Watching my son (whom I homeschool) learn something new makes me happy. Listening to my husband perform music makes me happy. Cake makes me happy. Drinking tea with girlfriends with good conversation makes me happy. Painting with others makes me happy. Going to art museums and galleries makes me happy. Indian food makes me happy. Vegan food makes me happy. I don’t like to talk about what makes me angry, I’d rather paint through that and talk about what makes me happy.

Who and what inspire you in your work and or in your life in general?
I’m inspired by everyday people. We are amazing creatures. I see friends and family going through so much pain and trouble, and yet I see them expressing kindness and love and laughter; that inspires me. I’m so inspired by other artists and what they create. I love going to artist panel discussion and talks. I’m inspired by music! What’s better than blaring the music and dancing around the studio with a brush in one’s hand… I mean, come on! That’s just the BEST!


What superpower would you want?
Work of Jessica Gordon


The power to heal physical ailments; that’s the superpower I’d want.

What is your favorite artists and or other person?

Judy Chicago, Miriam Schapiro, Faith Ringgold, Georgia O’Keefe, Josef Albers, Paul Klee, etc, etc, etc…

What advice would you give to other artists.

Seek out some intuitive painting or creative techniques. These tools are so important to have in our back pocket for those days when excuses and blocks make creating difficult. I find that it’s always best to work on a couple things at once, so you are taking any one painting or piece too seriously. Don’t force it; meaning that when you feel like you don’t know what to do next with something that you are working on, take a break and ask the piece what it wants. Journaling a conversation with your piece can go a long way… I highly recommend it. Believe in yourself, and don’t quit. I think it’s important that when you are in the arts, you know that other people’s opinions are just that; opinions. If you are creating something that you love and are addicted to creating, then it has a place in this world. High art
isn’t always the best fit for all of us; there is an audience for everything! Do what you love and never give up!

Contact details if any?

Jes Belkov Gordon
410-507-7991

You can find me at Sycamore Place Gallery & Studios in Decatur

No comments:

Post a Comment